James Iry is [a] highly skilled functional programming guru who has a magic touch when it comes to explaining complex Scala concepts to anyone.David Pollak, Beginning Scala, Apress 2009
Don't let David's compliment pigeon hole me. I'm an experienced director level manager, object oriented programmer, and C hacker. I've done a lot, enjoyed most of it, and am always up for the next challenge.
Also, sadly, I've managed to Google bomb myself with the phrase "mostly wrong."
SoCalFP.org is a group I founded for fellow functional programming geeks in in the Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego areas.
I'm a contributing editor on Lambda the Ultimate, a highly respected community blog devoted to programming language theory. That said, I only understand about 30% of what's posted. It's that kind of site.
- Led a team focused on developing management and infrastructure for large scale production systems.
- Wrote JDWPProxy, a filtering proxy for the Java Debugging Wire Protocol allowing relatively safe debugging of production systems.
- Created HTTPLogging, a Scala based system for capturing, viewing, and downloading entire HTTP request/response cycles from production systems plus editing and replaying requests.
- Developed a high performance globablly unique id system to trace the effects of a single request across threads, processes, and systems.
- Created a performance measurement infrastructure for automated benchmark tests.
- Diagnosed and solved problems related to memory management and performance in existing code.
- Clients included Qualistics, Inc., Virtual Assistance Lab, and Cubic Transportation Systems.
- Implemented caching to reduce response time and improve per server load at Qualistics.
- Consulted with the management of Qualistics to improve technical processes and hire personnel.
- Led and mentored a team in integrating agile methods in an environment that previously gave virtually no visibility into its process.
- Created and managed a quality assurance process which had previously relied on ad-hoc testing.
- Designed and taught a 3 day course on the Hibernate Object Relational Mapping (ORM) framework.
- Introduced and implemented AJAX techniques for two clients, garnering high usability marks from their users.
- Introduced and implemented the use of aspect oriented programming (AOP) and other techniquest to substantially reduce boilerplate in Java Enterprise Edition (J2EE/JEE) code bases. One application shrank by a measured 15%.
- Implemented a Java based COBOL parser and code generator for creating Java and C++ to provide higher throughput between Java front ends and COBOL backends.
- Created a high performance messaging processing system for an automotive parts distributor.
- Provided product management for a commercial application called OpenStorm - a BPEL authoring environment and runtime engine.
- Oversaw team selection, project progress, and key architectural decisions for several high profile clients including the U.S. Navy.
- Worked as a sales engineer in meetings with prospective clients and wrote proposals for attracting large clients including Harcourt.
- Created a multi-million dollar bid for the state of Texas.
- Hired, mentored and managed consultants in their career.
- Consulted to Blue Current, an outsourced asset management company.
- Implemented prototype system to image applications onto Pocket PC and Palm devices.
- Designed a strategic plan for integrating two of Blue Current's most critical software systems.
- Created a strategic and tactical plan for integrating mobile hand held devices into their service offerings.
- Implemented key software pieces including a Microsoft IIS filter written in C++ and ATL, a system for providing two different versions of the site to allow marketing to measure improvements in customer conversion, and a high throughput asynchronous logging and messaging system.
- Created and manged a $1M annual budget overseeing IT and software development.
- Worked with the CEO and the board of directors to establish strategic priorities.
- Co-inventor on patent application: "System and Method for Automated Authorization for Service Provider Switching" ( U.S. Patent Application No. 10/209,074).
- Designed and led several critical improvements to systems capabilities including a data warehouse, a system for comparison testing of multiple simultaneous UI designs, and a system for automated and semi-automated management of email responses.
- Hired, managed and mentored a team consisting of project management, software engineers, QA personnel, and systems administrators.
- Gathered and prioritized requirements from across the company's departments.
- Lead the SmartPrice.com project to completion on time and under budget with high customer satisfaction.
- Acted as a lead developer on a multi-million dollar distributed point of sale application using Java JEE/J2EE.
- Added Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME) to the company's offered services by creating and teaching a 4 day internal training course.
- Named to Austin Community College Downtown Technology Center advisory board.
- Acted as a panelist for an Austin Software Council discussion entitled "Major Hype, Major Breakthroughs in 2001: What Will the Rags Say in Their Year-End Retrospective" for 200 attendees.
- Gave a presentation to the first Austin BEA Users Conference entitled "To EJB or Not To EJB: Decision factors on the use of Enterprise Java Beans" to 50 attendees.
- Gave a guest lecture at the University of Texas (Austin) entitled "Distributed Components: A survey of technologies and techniques" to 60 students.
- Oversaw team selection, project progress, and key architectural decisions for several high profile clients.
- Worked as a sales engineer in meetings with prospective clients and wrote proposals for attracting prospects.
- Hired, mentored and managed consultants in their careers.
- Acted as lead developer on a Java JEE/J2EE project to improve distributed supply chain management.
- Acted as a lead developer on "HealthBridge", a commercial patient charting application, to create a distributed business logic tier providing core services in Java JEE/J2EE and integrating to a legacy CORBA system.
Productive Data Solutions
- Acted as a lead developer on several projects, including a multi-million dollar automated coupon processing system using Visual Basic and C++.
Aware Technologies and DATAMARKhttp://www.datamark.net/
- Acted as lead developer on "Keying on Image", a in-house and shrink-wrap tool written in C++ for generating image processing and data entry software.
- Created a over-the-network software authorization scheme based on smartcards.
- Contracted to several clients including acting as developer on a hypertext system for doing ICD-9 processing in a medical system.